News Releases

May 11, 2011

Homeowners Should Call 2-1-1 to Report Damage

Homeowners and renters in Vermont who suffered damage or losses in floods over the past few weeks should call 2-1-1 to report that damage. 2-1-1 will record all damage information and pass along to Vermont Emergency Management to assist in its efforts to receive a federal disaster declaration and financial help for homeowners.

VEM is currently working to estimate private property damage around Vermont to determine if the state may qualify for an Individual Assistance disaster declaration from the Federal Emergency Management Agency. 2-1-1 is an easy to remember central call point for all homeowners to report this damage. Vermont has received NO disaster declaration for individual or public assistance as yet.

The state of Vermont needs to show significant damage to private homes to qualify for an Individual Assistance declaration from the federal government. It is imperative that all homeowners who have damages call 2-1-1 and make a report. However, those homeowners should not expect any immediate relief or assistance when calling 2-1-1.

If you need immediate emergency assistance call 9-1-1.

211 is a program of the United Way.

Source: Vermont Emergency Management
Last Updated at: May 11, 2011 15:40:21