July 21, 2017
There's no shortage of fun to be had at Vermont's fairs and field days. This summer, more than 700,000 visitors are expected at fairs and field days across the state. From agricultural exhibits and competitions, to rides and tractor pulls, to music and of course food, fairs have something for everyone.
Fairs play an important role in communities by bringing neighbors together, and helping to educate the public about agriculture. According to the USDA Ag Census, less than 2 percent of Americans make a living in agriculture today, so fairs are an important opportunity to keep us connected to our agricultural roots.
Each year, the state invests in our fairs by providing funding for capital projects, such as bandstands, bathrooms, and pavilions. In 2017, more than $200,000 was granted to our Vermont fairs and field days to sustain infrastructure. An additional $95,000 in state stipends was provided to fairs to help fund operations.
The summer fair season kicked off last weekend in Bradford and continues through October...
* July 28-30 Lamoille County Field Days: www.lamoillefielddays.com
* July 29 Pownal Valley Fair
* August 3-6 Franklin County Field Days: www.franklincountyfielddays.org
* August 8-13 Addison County Fair & Field Days: www.addisoncountyfielddays.com
* August 15-19 Vermont State Fair: www.vermontstatefair.net
* August 16-20 Orleans County Fair: www.orleanscountyfair.net
* August 17-20 Deerfield Valley Farmer's Day Exhibition: www.dvfair.com
* August 23-27 Caledonia County Fair www.caledoniacountyfair.com
* August 25-27 Bondville Fair www.bondvillefair.org
* August 23 - Sept 3 Champlain Valley Exposition www.champlainvalleyfair.org
* September 2-4 Guilford Fair www.guilfordfairvermont.com
* September 14-17 Tunbridge World's Fair www.tunbridgeworldsfair.com
* Sept 30 - Oct 1 Vermont Sheep & Wool Festival www.vtsheepandwoolfest.com
For more information about Vermont Fairs and Field Days, visit http://agriculture.vermont.gov/producer_partner_resources/fairsfielddays
Media Contact: Alison Kosakowski, Director of Communications, Vermont Agency of Agriculture, Food, and Markets, 802-272-4547, Alison.Kosakowski@Vermont.Gov
Source: Agency of Agriculture, Food and Markets
Last Updated at: July 21, 2017 15:37:24