News Releases

May 18, 2018

What is Hazardous Waste and What Can You Do About It?

State Offers Training for Small Businesses and Towns On How To Properly Dispose of Hazardous Waste

When people hear the words 'hazardous waste,' they may think of high-profile large industrial disasters, but in reality, most hazardous wastes are materials we are all familiar with, such as unused paint and solvents, oily wastes like shop rags, and strong acids and bases used in cleaning. This Spring, the Department of Environmental Conservation is hosting a series of micro-trainings to help towns and businesses learn how to identify, manage, and minimize generation of common hazardous wastes.

"We wanted to provide a quick and easy training for anyone interested in learning how to identify manage, transport and dispose of hazardous waste. Attendees will also get a chance to hear about the simple strategies they can adopt to reduce the amount of hazardous waste they generate," said Celia Riechel, Compliance Assistance Specialist with the Department of Environmental Conservation.

The training is designed for businesses in manufacturing, food and beverage processing, wood products, vehicle maintenance, dentistry and veterinary medicine, laboratories, and dry cleaning, as well as school facilities and municipal garage staff, vocational students, and anyone else interested in how to safely manage and minimize hazardous wastes.

The trainings will be offered at various locations throughout the state in May and June. Each training is free and lasts 2.5 hours.

* May 21 (9-11:30am) in Rutland (Rutland Regional Medical Center, 160 Allen St)

* May 31 (9-11:30am in Morrisville (Morristown Town Offices, Tegue Bldg., 43 Portland St)

* June 5 (9-11:30am) in Williston (VT Technical College - Rm 401b, 201 Lawrence Place)

* June 5 (1:30-4pm) in St. Albans (Northwestern VT Medical Center, Green Mountain Room, 133 Fairfield Street)

For more information and to register to attend, visit the Vermont Department of Environmental Conservation's Environmental Assistance page at or call 802-249-5260.

MEDIA CONTACT: Lynn Metcalf, Environmental Assistance Office, Department of Environmental Conservation, 802-522-0469,

Source: Agency of Natural Resources
Last Updated at: May 18, 2018 13:03:20