News Releases

January 31, 2019

Summer Food Service Program Funds Available

The Vermont Agency of Education Child Nutrition Programs announces the availability of funds from the U.S. Department of Agriculture to participate in the 2019 Summer Food Service Program. The USDA Summer Food Service Program, also known as Summer Meals, is federally funded by the USDA and state-administered by the Vermont Agency of Education Child Nutrition Programs.

Interested sponsors should contact Jamie Curley at

This program bridges the gap between school years, giving children 18 and under the fuel they need to play and grow throughout the summer months and return to school ready to learn. In Summer 2018, 59 sponsors served 427,758 meals at almost 300 sites throughout the state.

The program consists of sponsors and sites. Sponsors can be supervisory unions or school districts, private non-profit organizations, government entities, and non-profit residential camps. Sponsors enter into an agreement with the Agency of Education Child Nutrition Programs to provide meals and file claims for reimbursement. Sponsors are reimbursed on a per meal basis for meals served to eligible children. Sites are the physical location where meals are served and consumed. Examples of sites include schools, parks, housing complexes, and libraries. Sponsors often have more than one site.

Sites established in low-income areas are "open" sites, where any child can eat a meal, no questions asked. Other types of sites must use individual child data to determine eligibility. Children who are members of 3SquaresVT or Reach Up households or meet the income guidelines below are automatically eligible to receive free meals at these other sites.

Summer Food Service Program Income Eligibility Guidelines 2019

Household Size: 1

Yearly: 22,459

Monthly: 1,872

Twice Per Month: 936

Every Two Weeks: 864

Weekly: 432

Household Size: 2

Yearly: 30,451

Monthly: 2,538

Twice Per Month: 1,269

Every Two Weeks: 1,172

Weekly: 586

Household Size: 3

Yearly: 38,443

Monthly: 3,204

Twice Per Month: 1,602

Every Two Weeks: 1,479

Weekly: 740

Household Size: 4

Yearly: 46,435

Monthly: 3,870

Twice Per Month: 1,935

Every Two Weeks: 1,786

Weekly: 893

Household Size: 5

Yearly: 54,427

Monthly: 4,536

Twice Per Month: 2,268

Every Two Weeks: 2,094

Weekly: 1,047

Household Size: 6

Yearly: 62,419

Monthly: 5,202

Twice Per Month: 2,601

Every Two Weeks: 2,401

Weekly: 1,201

Household Size: 7

Yearly: 70,411

Monthly: 5,868

Twice Per Month: 2,934

Every Two Weeks: 2,709

Weekly: 1,355

Household Size: 8

Yearly: 78,403

Monthly: 6,534

Twice Per Month: 3,267

Every Two Weeks: 3,016

Weekly: 1,508

Household Size: For each additional household member add

Yearly: 7,992

Monthly: 666

Twice Per Month: 333

Every Two Weeks: 308

Weekly: 154

For more information about the Summer Food Service Program, please contact the Vermont Agency of Education at (802) 479-1207.

In accordance with Federal civil rights law and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) civil rights regulations and policies, the USDA, its Agencies, offices, and employees, and institutions participating in or administering USDA programs are prohibited from discriminating based on race, color, national origin, sex, disability, age, or reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity in any program or activity conducted or funded by USDA.

Persons with disabilities who require alternative means of communication for program information (e.g. Braille, large print, audiotape, American Sign Language, etc.), should contact the Agency (State or local) where they applied for benefits. Individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing or have speech disabilities may contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339. Additionally, program information may be made available in languages other than English.

To file a program complaint of discrimination, complete the form found online at:, and at any USDA office, or write a letter addressed to USDA and provide in the letter all of the information requested in the form. To request a copy of the complaint form, call (866) 632-9992. Submit your completed form or letter to USDA by:

(1) mail: U.S. Department of Agriculture

Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights

1400 Independence Avenue, SW

Washington, D.C. 20250-9410;

(2) fax: (202) 690-7442; or

(3) email:

This institution is an equal opportunity provider.

Media Contact: Ted Fisher,, 802-479-1170

Source: Agency of Education
Last Updated at: January 31, 2019 11:28:45