May is National Teacher Appreciation Month and Tuesday, May 7, 2013 is Teacher Appreciation Day. This week is a great time to focus attention on the many outstanding educators whose work deserves applause!
“So many of Vermont’s teachers are passionate about teaching, about lifelong learning, and about the promise for our schools,” said Armando Vilaseca, Secretary of Education. “This week presents us with another opportunity, on a local and national level, to thank our teachers for the great work they are doing.”
Vermont has been participating in the National Teacher of the Year program since 1964. This week we are taking a look back at State Teachers of the Year, beginning with Ms. Michele Forman, a history/social studies teacher at Middlebury High School, who was named the National Teacher of the Year in 2001.
“The rewards I find in teaching are rooted in the joy of not only watching but also being part of my students’ learning and development,” said Forman. “A good teacher needs not only a good understanding of what he or she teaches, but also a sense of excitement in learning and a clear vision of how the key elements of a subject can be conveyed to students.”
Since the inception of the program, Vermont has named 50 exceptional, dedicated, knowledgeable, and skilled teachers as our State Teachers of the Year. Today, we reflect on the last decade:
• Janet Steward, Morristown Elementary, 2002 VT Teacher of the Year
• Kathy Jacob, Mill River UHS, 2003 VT Teacher of the Year
• Michael Dwyer, 2004 Otter Valley UHS, 2004 VT Teacher of the Year
• Karen Heath, Barre City Elementary & Middle School, 2005 VT Teacher of the Year
• Jennifer Harper, Cavendish Town Elementary, 2006 VT Teacher of the Year
• Katie Sullivan, Warren School, 2007 VT Teacher of the Year
• Diane Bahrenburg, Colchester High School, 2008 VT Teacher of the Year
• Diana Leddy, Newton School, 2009 VT Teacher of the Year
• Craig Divis, Bellows Falls UHS, 2010 VT Teacher of the Year
• Jennifer Lawson, Vergennes UHS, 2011 VT Teacher of the Year
• Tong Chen, Leland & Gray UHS, 2012 VT Teacher of the Year
• Jay Hoffman, Frederick H. Tuttle Middle School, 2013 VT Teacher of the Year
Vermont’s Teacher of the Year award history is available online: http://bit.ly/18pLbep.
“We know that good teachers are critical to student success. Thanks to our dedicated and talented teachers, Vermont has one of the best public education systems in the country,” said Governor Shumlin. “Let’s be sure to take time, this week and throughout the year, to thank teachers for their hard work.”
You can join the VT-AOE May 6-10, 2013 in a social media conversation about great teachers. We are highlighting Vermont’s Teachers of the Year on our Facebook page (http://on.fb.me/13YAQTc) and we are engaged in the national #ThankATeacher conversation on Twitter.
Please join us in recognizing teachers for the significant role they play in our lives and in the well-being of our nation. Take a moment to post a note of thanks or share a story about the teachers in our communities, overseas, and throughout the United States – past and present.