Vermont dot gov
Alerts | Calendars | Directory

January 30, 2018

Summer Food Service Program Funds Available

The Vermont Agency of Education Child Nutrition Programs announces the availability of funds from the U.S. Department of Agriculture to participate in the 2018 Summer Food Service Program. The USDA Summer Food Service Program, also known as Summer Meals, is federally funded by the USDA and state-administered by the Vermont Agency of Education Child Nutrition Programs.

Interested sponsors should contact Jamie Curley (

This program bridges the gap between school years, giving children 18 and under the fuel they need to play and grow throughout the summer months and return to school ready to learn. In Summer 2017, 57 sponsors served 420,735 meals at almost 300 sites throughout the state.

The program consists of sponsors and sites. Sponsors can be supervisory unions, private non-profit organizations, government entities, and non-profit residential camps. Sponsors enter into an agreement with the Agency of Education Child Nutrition Programs to provide meals and file claims for reimbursement. Sponsors are reimbursed on a per meal basis for meals served to eligible children. Sites are the physical location where meals are served and consumed. Examples of sites include schools, parks, housing complexes, and libraries. Sponsors often have more than one site.

Sites established in low-income areas are "open" sites, where any child can eat a meal, no questions asked. Other types of sites must use individual child data to determine eligibility. Children who are members of 3SquaresVT or Reach Up households or meet the income guidelines below are automatically eligible to receive free meals at these other sites.

SFSP Income Eligibility Guidelines 2018

Household Size: 1

Yearly: 22,311; Monthly: 1,860; Twice Per Month: 930; Every Two Weeks: 859; Weekly: 430

Household Size: 2

Yearly: 30,044; Monthly: 2,504; Twice Per Month: 1,252; Every Two Weeks: 1,156; Weekly: 578

Household Size: 3

Yearly: 37,777; Monthly: 3,149; Twice Per Month: 1,575; Every Two Weeks: 1,453; Weekly: 727

Household Size: 4

Yearly: 45,510; Monthly: 3,793; Twice Per Month: 1,897; Every Two Weeks: 1,751; Weekly: 876

Household Size: 5

Yearly: 53,243; Monthly: 4,437; Twice Per Month: 2,219; Every Two Weeks: 2,048; Weekly: 1,024

Household Size: 6

Yearly: 60,976; Monthly: 5,082; Twice Per Month: 2,541; Every Two Weeks: 2,346; Weekly: 1,173

Household Size: 7

Yearly: 68,709; Monthly: 5,726; Twice Per Month: 2,863; Every Two Weeks: 2,643; Weekly: 1,322

Household Size: 8

Yearly: 76,442; Monthly: 6,371; Twice Per Month: 3,186; Every Two Weeks: 2,941; Weekly: 1,471

For each additional household member add:

Yearly: 7,733; Monthly: 645; Twice Per Month: 323; Every Two Weeks: 298; Weekly: 149

For more information about the Summer Food Service Program, please contact the Vermont Agency of Education at (802)-479-1207.

In accordance with Federal civil rights law and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) civil rights regulations and policies, the USDA, its Agencies, offices, and employees, and institutions participating in or administering USDA programs are prohibited from discriminating based on race, color, national origin, sex, disability, age, or reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity in any program or activity conducted or funded by USDA.

Persons with disabilities who require alternative means of communication for program information (e.g. Braille, large print, audiotape, American Sign Language, etc.), should contact the Agency (State or local) where they applied for benefits. Individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing or have speech disabilities may contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339. Additionally, program information may be made available in languages other than English.

To file a program complaint of discrimination, complete the form found online at:, and at any USDA office, or write a letter addressed to USDA and provide in the letter all of the information requested in the form. To request a copy of the complaint form, call (866) 632-9992. Submit your completed form or letter to USDA by:

(1) mail: U.S. Department of Agriculture

Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights

1400 Independence Avenue, SW

Washington, D.C. 20250-9410;

(2) fax: (202) 690-7442; or

(3) email:

This institution is an equal opportunity provider.

Media Contact: Jamie Curley, (802) 479-1207

Source: Agency of Education
Last Updated at: January 30, 2018 12:00:46
Governor Phil Scott | Policies

Normal Version

A Vermont Government Website
Copyright 2018 State of Vermont